Interaction between people in today’s society is unavoidable at any level, be it personal, social or professional. Effective communication skills, thus, are important in my day-to-day life so that I can communicate well to ensure the accurate exchange of ideas, prevent confusion and misinterpretations in a normal conversation. Going further, it is important to be able to work well as a team, collate everyone’s ideas and present them in the best possible way.
I feel the most difficult skill to acquire is being able to deliver good oral presentations confidently without memorizing the script and simply reciting it aloud. I would like to work on this area due to its importance in the workplace as the inability to communicate ideas well through a presentation can make one’s work worthless if one’s ideas are not brought across appropriately and completely.
These skills are more so important in the professional world where one needs to have a good resume, polished job interview skills and following the acquisition of a job, is expected to be able to communicate well with one’s colleagues. Well-written and formatted business letters and the delivery of cohesive and informative presentations are also vital skills to be acquired.
Another obstacle to effective communication is the diverse and multi-cultural society today that requires the understanding and adoption of appropriate communication skills to ensure people of different backgrounds and cultures can understand each other better. I hope to be able to acquire these skills through this module to improve myself.
Hi Prameet,
ReplyDeleteThe whole passage is smooth and flow from one paragraph to the next with ease. The points that you mentioned are relevant and essential too. I found the quote at the top by Paula Coelho the most fascinating of all. It is inspiring and serves as a faithful reminder to us all who are often too afraid or too bounded by logic to live life to its fullest.
Looking forward to more quotes and posts from you!
Si Xiao
Hi Prameet,
ReplyDeleteYour passage is easily understood and I agree with you that interaction with people in today's society is inevitable. The point about you becoming more confident with presentation without a script is something I find more interesting.
I believe that as we are acquiring effective communications skills communicating with others, or rather putting our message across is going to become an easier task. Equipped with these skills you will most probably not need a script anymore.
This skills and more importantly the confidence you gain through class activities and practices will help especially when you go for interviews or presentations.
And yes, the quote by Paula Coelho is inspiring =), thank you for that.
Looking forward to seeing you in class!
Regards,
Shu Yan
Hi Prameet,
ReplyDeleteYour blog post is easy to read. The words used are simple. I agree with the points which you have given.
On the point about being confident during presentation without memorising or with the script, I feel that it comes with practice and experience. For example, most accomplished speakers/trainers probably have the same script with minor changes fir the same kind of talk. Even if they had forgotten their script, with their experience, the listeners probably will not realise it. :)
Looking forward to see you in class since you have not attended one yet! Haha!
With regards,
Kenneth
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi everyone,
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comments and opinions on this post.
I would just like to take this opportunity to elaborate on the point I made about difficulty with oral presentations. When giving a presentation, I, as a beginner, usually keep a script and feel the need to follow every word on it as, having had time to think through the ideas, I believe it will bring my ideas across in the most succinct and precise way. During the presentation itself, I strive to recite every word but it is just not possible because I fumble and, reactions and interactions with the audience affect my performance. There is also a tendency to skip points and I get tense when I realize I missed a point. This might carry forward a negative feel to the rest of the presentation. It is therefore hard to adhere strictly to the script. I, thus, hope to be able to gain the confidence to ensure all or as many of my planned points are brought across to the audience, in a relaxed manner, with their understanding and with a good flow in the presentation. I hope this helps you understand better my concerns on this issue.
Please feel free to give any positive and negative feedback on my posts and the blog as a whole so I can make the necessary improvements and better myself.
Thank you everyone! ;)
Regards,
Prameet
Dear Prameet
ReplyDeleteI note you have made changes to the blog after reading my email.
I am wondering whether, since you have given the lesson on resume, you might want to improve the write-up on yourself.
Regards
Happy